Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Fried Chicken Giblets in Lime Juice

Chicken gizzards and hearts mostly gizzards are super cheap and at my grocery store they were frozen so as not to have the stigma of clearance meat mentioned Monday.

I was browsing the internet for a method and stumbled upon this recipe which seemed like a good starting point. I had to do some substitutions due to different pantry items on hand and this recipe will be as cooked. I found the ingredient "mixed spices" to be particularly charming. I used panch puran which seems to be becoming my family's spice blend.

The house still smells of onions and anise which doesn't bug me a bit.

Fried Chicken Giblets in Lime Juice


2 cups chicken giblets
2 tablespoons butter (the original recipe called for ghee)
1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic, crushed
salt and pepper
1/2 teaspoon panch puran (or your family's spice blend), ground to a powder
4 tablespoons lime juice

Heat butter over high heat until the frothing dies down. I would even go so far as to let it start browning. I used a nonstick wok but a skillet would have worked great.

Add giblets and cook, stirring occasionally until almost cooked through, about 15 minutes. Mine exuded a lot of liquid which then evaporated and the giblets were beginning to brown.


Add onions and garlic and cook until soft and brown at the edges.


Add salt, pepper, spices and lime juice an cook for another 3 minutes. Garnish with parsley if you like (I don't) and serve over rice.

This was a truly delicious use for Chicken gizzards and hearts mostly gizzards!

Shrimp13

No comments:

Post a Comment