Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Pollo Pulquero (Slow Cooker Chicken Pocket Stew)

One of my favorite social media aphorisms is that you will not have your "aha" moment by following a celebrity. I feel like this when I Google pollo pulquero. I have of not compiled the supporting data but at a glance it looks to be the most blogged recipe of all time. This is what I get for blogging about a recipe from Rick Bayless' Mexican Everyday. And why not retread upon this worn old path? It is delicious and easy, it practically cooks itself.

And now I will add my name to the list of Rick Bayless lovers who have told and retold you the short easy tale of the slow cooker version of a kind of pocket stew enjoyed by pulque makers.

Pollo Pulquero


1 white onion, sliced 1/4" thick
salt
4 Yukon gold potatoes, also sliced 1/4" thick
2 pounds skinless chicken thighs
1 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
1 1/4 pounds tomatillos, husked, rinsed and sliced, yes, 1/4" thick
1/4 cup pickled jalapeño slices
2 tablespoons jalapeño pickling juice

Place onions in bottom of slow cooker. Season with salt. Add potatoes. Again season with salt. The salt is important as this is your one chance to season before adjusting at the end.. Add chicken.


Again with the salt. Cilantro. Salt.


Tomatillos. Salt. This is a good time to show you my tomatillos in various stages of undress.


I made a delightful sub of the tomatillo trimmings, jalapeños and some sliced leftover pork roast on a crusty baguette.

Sprinkle the jalapeños on top and add the pickling juice.

Cook for 6 hours on high. It will hold well for 4 hours on the warm setting.

I served mine with rice and slices of lime for squeezing. I was really, really good. It may not be my lone special "aha" moment but it is delicious. Thanks Mr. Bayless!

Shrimp13

No comments:

Post a Comment