Friday, March 11, 2011

High Fructose Corn Syrup

Here are the things I have been picking up about HFCS over the last few months of reading about it on the web;

Why it's bad;

It metabolizes differently than some other sugars and not in a good way.
It is sugar which is really something to be avoided out of it's natural surroundings like, say, in an apple.

Why companies use it;

It's fructose and glucose molecules don't un-bond in acidic situations so it's good for consistent taste over time in things like jam.
It's cheaper to handle in a factory situation than sugar.

What can we do about it?

Eat Real Food. And if your lifestyle dictates that you must purchase edible foodlike substances, read the label. If it's got something in it that you wouldn't have in you cupboard, don't eat it.

That idea is from a little book  by Michael Pollan I highly recommend; Food Rules: An Eater's Manual. It's a quick read and full of simple aphorisms regarding what to put in our stomachs.

As far as HFCS, I'm very disturbed that Google has been serving me ads for the Corn Refiners Association propaganda site, sweetsurprise dot com. But I am also happy to starting seeing it disappearing from food labels.

On a lighter note, next weeks pot luck is bacon themed so expect to see some bacon topics as I figure out what I'm going to make.

Shrimp13

No comments:

Post a Comment