Thursday, April 7, 2011

Arancini or Suppli or Fried Rice Balls Stuffed with Cheese

Yesterday I posted about risotto made form barley. Here is what happened to the leftovers.

Arancini is Italian for "little oranges". Due to the Italian penchant for whimsically naming their food items for what they, in the Italian imagination, look like, this is what they call fried balls of cooked rice. The ones that I made, inspired by myriad internet recipes all named "Arancini", actually turn out to be "Suppli" according to the Wikipedia article. Suppli are the Roman fried rice balls stuffed with cheese.

Fried Rice Balls Stuffed with Cheese

I really need to start using a light.
oil
1 or so cups flour
3 eggs beaten
2 or so cups bread crumbs
salt
Italian herb blend
cooked risotto
little chunks of mozzarella

You can use a deep fryer for this but I use a cast iron pot no more than half filled with oil. My stove can only get it to about 350°F so that works out. While your oil is heating up;

Put out plates (I use pie plates for this): one for flour, one for the eggs and one for the bread crumbs. I seasoned them all with Italian herb blend and salt. I'm not sure the salt really does much here as I end up seasoning at the end as well.


Form your rice into balls about an inch and a half in diameter. Press a little chunk of mozzarella into the center and close the ball around it.


Roll each ball in the flour, shaking off the excess. Then a roll in the egg and then the breadcrumbs. Some folks say a rest after this procedure produces a better crust. I let mine rest as my oil was still coming to heat.

I seriously need to use a light.
Fry the balls until golden brown and delicious, remove to a draining rig, I use an upturned cooling rack on paper towels. Sprinkle with a little salt while hot.

These can be served when cool enough to eat or at room temperature. Crunchy delicious on the outside, soft and creamy on the inside. Good stuff.


Shrimp13

No comments:

Post a Comment