Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Black Radish, Parsnip and Cucumber Salad

On Saturday I picked up some black radishes and parsnips at Sunflower. I knew there had to be something turnip-like I could do with the radishes (as they are a lot like turnips) and I thought perhaps I would roast the parsnips. Maybe they would both end up in a root bake. Then I saw this thread on Chowhound.com and used it in two other ways I hadn't thought of.

This is the first; a salad with some flavor similarities to jicama lime salad but sweeter and creamier.

Black Radish, Parsnip and Cucumber Salad


3 black radishes, peeled and grated
2 parsnips, peeled and grated
1 cucumber, seeded, peeled and grated
1 small onion, chopped
1 teaspoon mayonnaise
the juice of 2 key/Mexican limes
small handful cilantro, chopped
salt and pepper to taste

Mix all of the above in a small mixing bowl and serve. It's that easy.


The result is a sweet, creamy slaw perfect as a side dish for taco night. Leave out the lime and cilantro and replace the mayo with sour cream and you have something more traditional. I could also imagine going heavy on the garlic and replacing the sour cream with yogurt and serving it with moussaka.

Shrimp13

No comments:

Post a Comment