Monday, May 2, 2011

Crackers, a First Attempt

In Harold McGee's Keys to Good Cooking: A Guide to Making the Best of Foods and Recipes, he writes, "To make dry crackers, roll the dough very thin, dock it by gently pressing fork tines into the surface to limit blistering, cut it into pieces, and bake them in a moderate oven until dry and crisp."

I used my aforementioned Daddy Dough as my starting point as I have a batch ready. I preheated the oven to 350 degrees F and grabbed a hunk of dough and rolled it very thin using plenty of flour as I worked. This dough is quite wet.


I cut it into squares with a pizza cutter,


And docked them with a fork. I slid them on to a greased cookie sheet with a spatula and sprinkled them with salt. Into the oven.


About 1/2 hour later I removed them to a cooling rack.


How did it work out?

They came out rather hard and crunchy and a little on the overbrowned side. Still they were fun to eat plain, with butter and with cheese.

I was checking them every 5 minutes and should have pulled them 5 minutes before I did.

The ones on the thinner side came out lighter and crispier so rolling the dough as thin as possible is key.

Next time I will roll very very thin and pull them from the oven after 25 minutes.

Shrimp13

2 comments:

  1. I use my pasta roller when I make flat breads or crackers. It gives me a consistent, super flat piece of dough. Then again, I busted the knob that attaches the pasta maker to the counter, so it's permanently mounted on the counter and I may as well use it for something!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I am definitely going to try again soon. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete