Friday, May 6, 2011

Horseradish

I recently picked up a horseradish root.


I peeled it.


Grated it.


And tasted it. Man! What a pungent, fresh taste! I figured the best way to make it into a condiment was a little mayo.


I stirred it in and tasted. All of that wonderful mustard oil pungency was so muted as to almost not be there.

I grated some more and mixed in vinegar, the common factor in the prepared horseradish recipes I saw on the web.


Now this was more like it! I might have overdone it on the vinegar (it tasted vinegary) but that snap and heat and sinus filling pungency was there. And not a slice of roast beef in sight. So I ate it with a bunch of sauted broccoli and zucchini and it was still delightful.

This morning I tasted what was left in the fridge. The pungency had dissipated. I should have done it in a blender with less vinegar and a little water and covered it tightly. We live we learn.

Shrimp13

No comments:

Post a Comment