Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Rhubarb Pie

I picked up a few stalks of rhubarb the other day with an eye to making bars, sauce or pie.


Lately I have been enjoying pie making (I am not much of a baker). I have been using @ruhlman 's 3:2:1 pie dough from his awesome book, Ratio: The Simple Codes Behind the Craft of Everyday Cooking. In fact he uses it here to make a lattice crust rhubarb pie. The topology involved in a lattice crust has resulted in me only doing it once and then only with much anger and frustration. Pretty though.

I started with this very simple recipe from allrecipes.com (not having seen Rhulman's before just now). As a reminder the leaves of the rhubarb are toxic and may be hazardous and therefore should be discarded.

Rhubarb Pie

4 cups rhubarb, chopped
1 1/3 cups sugar
1/3 cup flour
1 tablespoon butter
1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie

Preheat oven to 450°F.

Combine sugar and flour. Sprinkle a quarter of the flour/sugar mixture in the bottom crust. Add the rhubarb


and sprinkle with the remaining mixture.


Dot with butter (I forgot this step but it didn't seem to ruin anything)  and cover with the top crust. Poke some holes in the top for steam to escape (is this really necessary? what might happen if you don't?).


Bake for 15 minutes and reduce temperature to 350°F and continue baking for about 45 minutes.


Mmmmmm! Now that's good pie! And I told you it was easy.

Shrimp13

No comments:

Post a Comment