Monday, December 27, 2010

Cauliflower-Carrot Colcannon

Happy post-Christmas Monday!

Yesterday looking for something different to do that was low calorie and filling I decided to try that old Atkins standby; mashed cauliflower. I had some carrots and cabbage in the fridge as well so I thought, "hey!", why not try a cauliflower-carrot colcannon. Colcannon is one of the ways that the Irish would dress up potatoes if they could afford or find some greenery. It is basically mashed potatoes with cabbage or kale and is delightful.


2 small heads cauliflower broken into florets
5 carrots cut into chunks
Salt & Pepper 
1/2 head cabbage sliced thinly
2 cloves garlic minced


My attempt started with chunking up and seasoning the cauliflower and carrots in preparation for steaming.


I got steaming times from Timing Is Everything: The Complete Timing Guide to Cooking (which is my kitchen bible and the answer was 9 minutes or so) which would have been perfect except that the result was al dente and I needed mashable. I continued steaming for another 10 minutes and decided I was good to go.


Next time I would shoot for 30 minutes as my resulting mash was more like rice than mashed potatoes.

The other half of this story is the cabbage which I sauteed.


Here you see both partners in colcannon preparing for the merger;


I tossed a couple of minced cloves of garlic at the end of the cabbage sautee to retain some of that hot fresh garlic thing.

Here is the end result;


Not gonna win any beauty contests but it really was tasty and satisfying. I kept thinking it would make a great egg roll/spring roll/won ton stuffing or maybe a replacement for rice under a stir-fry. More on that later I think.

Shrimp13

No comments:

Post a Comment