Friday, December 10, 2010

Friday Beer Note and All Purpose Marinade

 Traquair House Ale


From my tasting notes;

From Scotland
Nutty malt, deep, strong
ABV 7.2%
Reddish brown in color
Malty aroma and unctuous mouthfeel
Malty sweet nutty flavor

I gave this beer 4 stars out of 5 (5 being reserved for truly spectacular beers). It was extremely tasty. $6.99 a bottle at Total Wine.

All Purpose Marinade

Soy Sauce
Key Limes (or persian limes if key limes are not available)
Olive Oil
Garlic
Pepper

Put the meat in a zipper freezer bag.

Pour in the amount of soy sauce that you would if you were going to pour it over the meat laid out flat, end to end.

Squeeze in the juice of the key limes, about 1 per piece of meat. Toss in the skins too.

Drizzle in the olive oil, about the amount you would drizzle over the meat laid out flat end to end.

Mince or press garlic into freezer bag. About 1 or so clove per piece of meat.

Grind in pepper, approximately the amount you would use to season the meat if it was laid out flat end to end.

I imagine you could also combine equal amounts of oil, soy and lime juice and season to taste with the garlic and pepper but that would not satisfy what is my apparent OCD. Did I mention touch each piece of meat three times between steps?

Friends ask about this marinade and also share theirs. I use it on steak, most often skirt but also fish, chicken and pork, the difference being the time I allow it to marinate. Fish I do for 1/2 hour, chicken 1/2 hour to an hour, pork chops an hour or so and beef as long as overnight. If I am forced into a short marinating time on the beef I will do it up to an hour at room temperature directly before grilling.

Shrimp13

No comments:

Post a Comment