Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Cheater Turkey Mole

I first saw this recipe on Sara Moulton's old show on Food Network. After what seemed like more Googling than usual I found it on the salesy aggregate site cdkitchen.com. I link to them here out of respect for having the recipe but I diss them for having no less than seven ads and a pop-under on the recipe page.

The premise is a rather convincing mole replacing unlikely middle America pantry staples with more likely ones.

It is also quicker and easier. The chili pods are replaced by chili powder. The chocolate is replaced by cocoa powder. The pepitas are replaced by peanut butter.


I wish I had a picture that didn't look like an abattoir

Cheater Turkey Mole

3 cups onion roughly chopped
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
1/2 teaspoon aniseed
3 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons sugar
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tablespoons peanut butter
3 cups chicken broth (or as needed)
1 16oz. can fire roasted tomatoes
2 tablespoons raisins
3 cloves garlic, minced or put through a press
2 pounds dark turkey parts
Cooked rice as an accompaniment
1 teaspoon sesame seeds

Heat oil in soup pot over medium high heat. Add onions and cook, stirring frequently, until beginning to brown.


Meanwhile, beat the coriander seeds and anise into a powder in your giant Thai mortar.

I wish I had a good picture of my giant Thai mortar

Reduce heat to medium. Add coriander, anise, chili powder, sugar, cinnamon and cloves to the pot and cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute.

Stir in cocoa powder, peanut butter, 2 cups of the broth, tomatoes, raisins, garlic and salt to taste. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to medium low and cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.


While the sauce is cooking, season the turkey parts with salt. Heat a tablespoon or so of oil in a large skillet. Add turkey parts and brown on all sides to your favorite level of brown-ness.


Buzz the sauce with a stick blender. I recommend using Alton Brown's Frisbee brand flying disc trick (cut a slot to and hole in the center of the disc and use it as a shield over the food around the blender) if you don't want your kitchen to look like a crime scene.

No, we found the body like this sir

Add the turkey parts and a little of the cooking fat to the pot and simmer for 45 minutes or until the turkey done.


Serve over rice garnished with the sesame seeds.

This recipe is totally convincing and really really delicious.

Shrimp13


Notes:

I replaced the original turkey wings with the dark turkey parts from an unused thanksgiving turkey I had frozen. I also replaced the broiling of the parts with browning as I was using the oven to roast the breast for sandwiches. I also reduced a little of the fat at the beginning but then added some turkey fat at the end from the browning of the parts. I switched to fire roasted tomatoes as I use them for everything and recommend that you do as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment