Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Hashed Turnips

This is my attempt at Saveur's Hashed Turnip recipe. I replaced their cream with beer (because I didn't have cream and if I did, the cream would add more than twice the calories of the beer). I also used leftover chicken adobo (adobo marinade recipe from Rick Bayless' Mexican Everyday) instead of the pork chop. I omitted the parsley as I didn't have any on hand.

Hashed Turnips

3 1/2 lb. Turnips peeled and cut into large dice
1 T Oil
1 Leftover Adobo Chicken Breast (or of course a fresh chicken breast or a pork chop) cut into large dice
Salt & Pepper
1 Onion roughly chopped
4 Cloves Garlic finely chopped
2 Bay Leaves
1/2 t Dried Thyme
2 t Butter
1/2 - 1 C Beer

Put turnips in a bowl with water to cover and set aside.


Heat oil in skillet over medium high heat. Season meat (if necessary) and add to skillet. Cook stirring occasionally until browned.



Add onions and continue to cook, stirring occasionallym until they begin to brown.


Drain turnips and pat dry (Saveur suggests paper towels but I would be prone to use a clean dish towel for this kind of task) Add turnips, garlic, bay leaves, thyme and butter to the skillet and continue to cook, stirring occasionally and scraping bottom of pan with a wooden spoon until turnips soften and begin to brown.


Stir in beer.


I used a not very hoppy lager as I was concerned about bitterness with the hops on top of the adobo and long browning time. Reduce  heat to medium-low, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally until turnips can be mashed with a fork, about 30 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Hashed Turnips

My verdict? Even with the bland beer, there was still too much dept of flavor. I can really tell where the cream would work well with this recipe to round out the flavors. Even so, it was an excellent foil for the other foods on the plate and was a fun recipe to prepare.

No comments:

Post a Comment