Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Groundnut Stew

I was sitting on two bags of unsalted peanuts that will get rancid if not used soon. What to do? I remembered that peanuts are African in origin and are used specifically in ground nut stew or soup.

This recipe was my inspiration. I particularly love that most of the ingredients are optional. My kind of recipe. I was cooling for a vegetarian so I left out the chicken.

I did make my own peanut butter with my big Thai mortar and pestle. If I had it to do over again I would have used the blender. My peanut butter was not what one would call smooth.

Groundnut Stew


1 tablespoon oil
2 onions, chopped fine
1 clove garlic, minced
1 15 ounce can tomatoes
1 pinch cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 bay leaf
2 sweet potatoes, peeled, cubed and microwaved on high for 5 minutes
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 small butternut squash, peeled and cut into cubes
Salt
Pepper
water
1 cup peanut butter

Heat oil over high heat in a big soup pot. Add onions and garlic. Cook stirring occasionally until beginning to brown.

Add tomatoes and bring to a fast boil while stirring. Add cayenne, coriander, bay leaf, sweet potatoes, bell pepper, squash and enough water for a soupy consistency. Season with salt and pepper. Add peanut butter and stir until smooth.

Bring to a boil and reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes or until the squash is tender, stirring frequently as the peanut butter seems to encourage burning at the bottom of the pot.

Serve over boiled rice.

Peanut Butter

Put peanuts in mortar


Beat to a pulp until smooth.


Simmer in 1 cup water until emulsion comes together.


Shrimp13

No comments:

Post a Comment