Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Ham Steak with Red Wine Sauce

Last night I sliced a thick steak off of the cut end of the ham I was baking for use in couple of upcoming recipes.

I was thinking about red-eye gravy, a recipe for a sauce based on coffee that keeps popping up on TV and in books and periodicals. I had tried it once before and was nonplussed. But now that I have reread the Wikipedia article, I think I might try it again as a sauce for ham and biscuits.

I decided to go with the kind of sauce you might make of the dripping of a pan seared beefsteak (and it went a little something like this);

Ham Steak with Red Wine Sauce


1 tablespoon oil
1 ham steak
1/2 cup or so red wine
1/2 cup or so water or stock, I used water as the ham drippings already have a lot of flavor
1 tablespoon or so Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons or so butter

Heat oil in skillet over high heat. Add ham steak and cook for 10 minutes, turning after 5. Remove ham to a plate. If you want to keep it warm you could use an oven proof plate in an oven set to warm.

Add the wine and the water to the stuff left in the pan and scrape the bottom with a spoon to get up all those stuck little tasty bits.

When the liquid has reduced to the point that it is starting to thicken up, add the mustard and stir to incorporate into the liquid. Finally, remove from heat and stir in butter until incorporated.

Pour over ham and eat. I had mine on bread. Tasty!

Shrimp13

No comments:

Post a Comment