Monday, February 7, 2011

Lentil & Rice Casserole

This is the first blog post since I began the eating experiment inspired by my reading of Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It and it has a quite low glycemic index if you care about such things.

Let me continue by stating that this is much better than it looks and it does not look pretty. I fixed this in a subsequent version by putting some of the added cheese on the top and perhaps a sprinkling of herbs as a garnish. Perhaps if I had looked at the pictured of the recipe I would have caught that sooner.

This is the recipe I used for inspiration. It is so simple it's practically not even cooking. Pretty much; Combine ingredients, bake.

Lentil & Rice Casserole


4 cups broth (or seasoned water)
3/4 cups lentils
1/2 cup brown rice
1 medium onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon Italian herb mix
1 cup grated cheddar, divided

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Mix all ingredients except for the cheese in a baking dish.

Cover and bake for 1 hour 10 minutes.

Uncover, stir in 3/4 of the cheese, top with remaining cheese and bake for 20 more minutes.

Voila, food;


You might note chunks of ham in the version above. Chunks of chicken would also be very appropriate.

Also, my wife, Yvonne told me that this one needs to be added to the regular rotation. That is a ringing endorsement.

Shrimp13

No comments:

Post a Comment