Friday, February 4, 2011

Some Friday Thoughts about 2 Books

The first book is Gary Taubes' Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It. This book has been making me mad, so mad that I have typed profanity into the notes of my Kindle version.

The first half is a very salesy, pseudoscientific, fake logic-y setup. The second half appears to be the Primal Diet, or something like it.

I will write more on this topic but not until I experiment a bit with his ideas. I have been more or less taking in and expending a fairly stable amount of calories for the past 5 years and especially in the last year. Without changing the calories in/calories out aspect of my eating (that has allowed me to lose 130 pounds, flying in the face of Taubesian fake-logic), I am going to alter where these calories are coming from in a ratio similar to what he puts forward in his book. I'll let y'all know what happens.

The second book is The Celebrity Cookbook compiled by Dinah Shore for release in 1966.


Within are about 63 recipes, almost all of which contain watercress, shared by the celebrities and celebrity wives of the day. My half-baked plan or hare brained scheme, if you will, is to cook through this book a la Julie & Julia. I will also limit myself to a year which should be easy considering she had 524 recipes to complete and I only have 63.

I have about thawed from my 20 degree bike ride in this morning, time to make the donuts. Have a great weekend!

Shrimp13

No comments:

Post a Comment