Monday, February 14, 2011

One of Lorne Green's Favorite Salads

Today begins my trip back to 1966 as I cook through The Celebrity Cookbook. I skipped recipe 1, Dory Langdon Previn's Caviar in Aspic for now. I have the ingredients but not yet the time. I also skipped recipe 2 for now, Phyllis Diller's Garbage Soup, as it will need time to test all of her ideas (although her recipe is quite close to my End of Week Soup).

One of Lorne Green's Favorite Salads


1 bunch romaine, torn into bite sized pieces
1 bunch watercress, torn into bit sized pieces (I used 1/2 arugula and 1/2 mache)
2 hard boiled eggs, chopped
1 cup julienne beets
1/2 cup green onions, chopped

Toss the above with plenty of the dressing below;

1 scant 1/2 cup white vinegar (I used white wine vinegar)
1 generous cup olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper (I estimated this as Finn ground the pepper directly in)
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon season salt (I used Italian herb blend and added a little more salt)
1/2 teaspoon monosodium glutamate (I omitted this)
1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon rubbed between your hands


Place all of the above into a jar and shake to emulsify;


Finn said the dressing looked and smelled just like food dressing from the grocery store. We made our own julienne beets which resulted in this;


The salad really was great and I will be enjoying another for lunch with the leftovers.

Shrimp13

No comments:

Post a Comment